Getting inventive with my food has been a huge part of me switching to plant-based eating, but that doesn’t mean it has to be complicated. This Vegan Lasagne is simply a layered vegetable dish – no fussy swaps for Vegan cheese or Vegan mince, just vegetables! And it’s really quick to make too!
Ingredients (For 2 People)
- 240g Cannellini beans
- 200g Passata
- 150g Carrot
- 40g Rocket
- 1 x Aubergine
- 1 x Red Onion
- 29g Pine Nuts
- 2 x tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 x tbsp Sun-dried Tomato Paste
- 2 x tbsp Basil Pesto (I used the Vegan Mr Organic Pesto)
- 2 x tsp dried Italian Herbs
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas Mark 6. Finely dice the onion & the carrot.
- To make the aubergine layers, thinly slice the aubergine lengthways & try to get at least 6 slices.
- Heat a medium sized pan with a 1/2 tsp of oil (I used Hemp oil for a nutty flavour) & cook the onion for 3 minutes & then add the carrot for 5 mins.
- Whilst the carrot & onion are cooking, place the aubergine slices on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp of oil and a pinch of sea salt. Place in the oven for 10-15 mins and turn over half way through.
- Drain & rinse the Cannellini beans & add to the pan with the onion & carrot. Add in the Passata, sun-dried tomato paste, dried herbs & 1/3 of your balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Now for the fun bit! Construct the lasagne but placing a slice on aubergine on each plate and top with the bean sauce & pesto, add another aubergine slice & repeat until all slices are gone. Top the very last layer with pesto and sprinkle over with pine nuts. Serve alongside the Rocket and the rest of the balsamic vinegar.